Virginia Tech™home


Please visit the VTES office in person at 601 Energy Drive, Blacksburg VA 24061 Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. to sign up in person.

Customers will need to sign the application in person and provide a social security number.

If the service is already on, the account will be switched to the new account holder’s name the next business day. If the service is not on, power can be turned on the same day as long as the service request is complete by 3 p.m.

Residential customers do not have to pay a deposit. Commercial customers must pay a deposit equal to two months of service. 

We accept cash, check, money order, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. Payments can be made by mail, online, the VTES office, or the Virginia Tech Bursar’s Office located at the Student Services Building on Washington Street. Customers may also sign up for direct debit by filling out the appropriate paperwork in our office. Payments cannot be accepted over the phone. 

Yes. Please write the account number in the memo section of each check to ensure the payment is posted to the proper account.

Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

To report a power outage or emergency call 540-231-6437. If you are calling after normal business hours select option one or stay on the line to be connected to the Virginia Tech Police Department, who will contact the proper Virginia Tech Electric Service personnel to investigate the power outage or emergency.

To close an account, the account holder must call or come into the office. 

Yes. To schedule an appointment for someone to come to your residence for an estimate, call the office. We require that the cost be paid before work can begin. 

If your account has been disconnected for nonpayment, the outstanding balance and a reconnection fee must be paid in full. The reconnection fee is $20 for residential customers. The fee starts and $25 and varies for commercial customers and is based upon how long service was disconnected. for a residential customer is $20. For a commercial customer, the rate varies depending upon how the service was disconnected. 

A customer charge is applied to every metered account. The charge covers the cost of maintaining the meter.

Refunds due from transactions by cash and/or check are issued by check from the University Controller's Office.  Credit card refunds are handled in the same manner as the original transaction.  In other words, a refund must be credited back to the original card number.

Availability of Service

Solar Power Energy billing (Net-Metering) is available for customers who have an eligible renewable generator operating in parallel with the VTES electric system, and request to connect at a standard non-time of use rate for service offered by VTES.

An eligible renewable generator is a generating facility that complies with all applicable requirements of the Code of Virginia related to net metering.


What is Net Metering?

Net metering is a billing mechanism that credits renewable energy system owners for the electricity they add to the grid.  Net metering measures the total electricity flows in both directions – from the utility to the customer facility and from the customer facility to the utility.  A renewable generator generating more electricity than the facility was consuming would cause flows from the customer facility to the utility.



With Net Metering the customer will receive a credit each month for any kWh of electricity sent to VTES in excess of the kWh received from VTES during that month. These credits will be carried forward and used to offset usage in subsequent months. Credits are not transferable and the customer will not receive any compensation for excess credits.


Monthly Billing

If you generate more electricity than you receive you will still receive a monthly bill for any non-usage charges such as the Customer Charge (which covers the cost of the meter reading, customer billing, service equipment and other expenses) and Demand Charges (if applicable under a standard commercial rate).